HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Learning a language

hey all

currently learning Spanish (started this week and no that's not what my icon is for) but wondered what's the best way for those of you who've learnt a language to learn it? I go to classes once a week and its very like on the ball, lots of talking in Spanish rather than writing down lists which is the best way to learn. also downloaded DuoLingo and using it every night which is really good app

but wondered if there's any tips people have? and at the start is it right for me to be thinking in English still like translating it in my head? or should i try stop that? or wait till i know a bit more.

help/suggestions appreciated x

Tokens
    Habbo
    Shonly

Latest Awards:

I've been learning German for the past month or so and DuoLingo is great for learning and practicing, but I didn't think it helped me much in actually forming sentences of my own and carrying out conversations other than "hello, how are you, good bye" if this makes sense? Definitely keep using it though. Other things I recommend are:

- writing diary entries to practice your writing. or if you don't wanna do a diary, do a personal "blog" type thing where you focus on one subject - it'll help you learn vocabulary based on your interests and help you out what you learn in classes/Duolingo to use
    - Italki website is good for learning to speak the language. You chat with fluent speakers and actual teachers and they give you feedback and help you improve, although might not be as useful if you're taking a class
    - read news websites in the language. write down any new words you learn and want to remember
    - practice. I know this sounds obv but I've gone a week without practicing now and i already feel like I've forgotten a lot.

Learning a language is fun, but it's a lot of work and it requires a lot of commitment to master. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of tips but I wish you the best with it!!

(I'm on phone so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense)

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

The best alternative I had while trying to master a new language (in this case, English) was to, shamelessly, join a certain group of people whose main language is the one I was looking after. In the early months of "practical practicing" (if that makes sense) is a pain, really, but, as a baby who abandons the goo-goo-ish in favor of a solid communicating system, the process is slow, painful and handy.

And it kind of worked to me. 12 months later... and I've made some good friends in Habbox.

The reciprocal is true. We both know that the Spanish Habbo is one of the most crowded ones, so it could be one of mandatory stops you'd rather to choose at the moment. They are cool people, amigo.
    Last edited by LUCPIX; 23-09-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Undertaker, take this little bit of information and keep it in mind well: Learning any foreign language past the critical period as if you were born speaking it is next to impossible unless it's in your blood. I've had a friend who actually had to wait years to learn Spanish, yet she spoke like she had known it for ages. The best you can really do is experiment and find out what works for you the most. Good luck.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

Download the BBC news app in Spanish then start deciphering new stories

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Download the BBC news app in Spanish then start deciphering new stories
    Yeah my friend who is quite fluent in it now always read El Pais to practice. Now he watches Spanish TV shows.

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

really strange actually how similar many of the words are to English... thing i struggle most to remember is the connectives like La, Un, Es, Esta etc i always get them mixed up on DuoLingo.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Duolingo is a godsend.

Country
    Scotland
    Tokens
    Habbo
    MikeyFusion

Latest Awards:

I did French in school but never really took interest in it because it was mandatory. I know the odd bit but couldn't have a full on conversation with another French speaker. I would like to learn a language, with apps these days I might well do so.. just need to figure out what language is useful to learn.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Neversoft View Post
    Duolingo is a godsend.
    As soon as I say that the app updates and they lock progression behind a paywall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast