HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by peteyt View Post
    Im late to this. To be honest dont really visit here anymore. I get the whole respect part and i can imagine most children would leave childish feedback. However in university definitely. I had some bad lecturers at uni one even got fired i believe. If your paying and not getting your moneys worth then really there should be a system allowing you to give feedback/complain.

Hell even in school we had bad teachers. Ours was a technology college yet that was a joke as all the other schools where more up to date. I was/am interested in it but school/six form put me off it as all we did was design. I spent a lot of time teaching my it teacher

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    In University though I saw pressure applied to a lecturer which ended up dulling down his lessons to the extent he was afraid to speak. He was a Philosophy lecturer and apparently some in the class had complained about him talking about situations/scenarios like death, rape, sex etc - and as a result he was told to water down his lessons. I felt so sorry for him, especially as the majority of the class (including me) were supportive of him. A vocal minority essentially bullying a teacher, and I remember something similar in Primary school too.

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

As the dudes above said, the feedback scheme definitely sounds fairer, because a system of "grades" assigns an unnecessary level of seriousness to the whole thing, as if, if the teacher is not good enough, they will be fired, or something. And whatever teachers do (especially anything that makes them look "bossy") would be cause for the more easily-irritated students to give a lower grade to them, anyway

Tokens
    Habbo
    JACKTARD

Latest Awards:

Teachers are held accountable by other means. Frequent observations, quality assurances of books, results each year etc etc. If a teacher wasn't doing right by the students then they wouldn't last long in their job.

Ultimately, teachers are out to get the best out of their students whether it makes them popular or not, it's all about long term gain rather than what they want to do in that moment.

Tokens
    Habbo
    JamesSparky

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    Absolutely not. The classroom is not a democracy nor should it be.

The very fact CHILDREN are being asked to 'grade' their teacher goes to show how far respect for authority in schools has collapsed. The class results in examinations and marking in books will do the grading needed to assess teachers, not a popularity contest.
    Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    In University though I saw pressure applied to a lecturer which ended up dulling down his lessons to the extent he was afraid to speak. He was a Philosophy lecturer and apparently some in the class had complained about him talking about situations/scenarios like death, rape, sex etc - and as a result he was told to water down his lessons. I felt so sorry for him, especially as the majority of the class (including me) were supportive of him. A vocal minority essentially bullying a teacher, and I remember something similar in Primary school too.
    I totally agree with these statements (sorry for bumping if this has seen it's sell-by date on this thread).

Quote 1: The academic classroom shouldn't be a democracy, it's an environment for a professional to hand-down and support the educaction of the uneducated. Asking a student to grade a professional on their commitment to their teaching, their overall presence in the room, etc etc is totally I would say... barbaric.

Quote 2: I see this all the time at university especially during our liaison committee meetings, staff and lecturers are being pressured to do beyond amazing in order to maintain the highest levels possible in terms of teaching and in turn, keeping the standards in high turnout in 2:1s +. This situation you state, is something that fairly recently happened within the US with a lecturer using the correct historical terminology during his lectureres, where then the students started walking out and later protesting against the lecture and lecturer like-wise, because of the "racist" and "discriminatory" behaviour and terminology used by said lecturer. Not too mention, this same lecturer had taught the same unit for multiple-multiple years since starting at the given University in the US. It just goes to show how sensitive and over-privalliged today's soceity is.

Like laura has said, a feedback system is far better than grading a professional. You're there to be graded, they've seen through their education and been graded all the way throughout it, and to then turn the tables and grade those professional's would be directly damaging and hurtful to not only their career but also their livelihood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12