Habbo
    ThomasLaws
    Tokens
    Rep Count
    View Awards

Default Should students grade teachers?

Here's another debate if the first one wasn't your cup of tea.

Should students be allowed to grade teachers?

It seems like a dream come true for many students to write anonymous grades about their teachers for them to see. However, would it really result in a change? How could employers ensure the results are listened to?

When I first thought about this debate I figured it would be a great service for the education system. However, I'm starting to believe a system like this may become ineffective quickly and even if it does stick around may even offend teachers. These teachers are most likely passionate about their subject and attended university in that subject (Not all teachers are passionate about their subject unfortunately) Plus teachers are already observed and test scores already reflect on their academic impact. So how helpful would a students opinion be? Would an age range on the grading be needed due to immature students?

So what do you think? Would a student to teacher grading system work?

Feel free to fight against my opinion, I love a good ol' debate.
    Just a kid drowning in A levels.

lawrawrrr is offline live long and suck it ☮
    General Manager

Habbo
    lawrawrrr
    Tokens
    Rep Count
    View Awards

Grade no but feedback yes!!! In any job I believe you should get feedback from the people you work most closely with. In schools and colleges thats the kids!

Those feedback sheets (the serious ones anyway) could be incorporated into annual appraisals where the teacher sets goals based on that feedback and their performance is measured against that. That's how it's (supposed to) work where I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey boys x and girls x

loads of sales and time to get shit tons of tokens!! click the banner to find out more <3
    Likes ThomasLaws liked this post

FlyingJesus is offline Events Manager
    Articles Proofreader
    Graphics Designer

Room Builder

Tokens
    Rep Count
    View Awards

Not a fan of the idea myself, it would basically encourage teachers to be lenient and "cool" rather than good at their jobs. Let's be honest, most kids are idiots and think the idea of ruining someone's life just for being a person of authority is a real hoot

I believe there are rating systems (albeit unofficial) for university professors but obviously by that stage people tend to be a bit more understanding about how the world works... a bit

Oh RIP didn't see that this was a copy thread
    Last edited by FlyingJesus; 07-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    | TWITTER |

JOIN US RIGHT THIS SECOND

Alkaz is offline Former Assistant General Manager
    Tokens
    Rep Count
    View Awards

Yeah feedback is good and like Laura said it would be good for annual appraisals. We do a similar thing where I work, in a totally different sector and it works wonderfully.

I think that the idea of 'grading' teachers would be a novelty to start off with a few taking it seriously but I imagine the majority wouldn't. Students would use any minor indiscretion against the teachers, which could end up having a profound impact on their career all because of that time in year 7 when they shouted at you. They're there to do their job and in most instances wouldn't be there if they were incapable of doing their job.

I could see it causing all manner of issues, imagine a grade C teacher trying to teach grade A students :l

Habbo
    cammiee.
    Tokens
    Rep Count
    View Awards

I think giving feedback is good, and let's the teachers know what they need to improve on. As mentioned, I don't think grading is the best because this won't help teachers in any way, apart from disvalue them and make them feel like they're not doing a good enough job.

despect is offline Assistant General Manager (Community)
    Habbo
    Despect
    Tokens
    Rep Count
    View Awards

Like others have said feedback is good and I think from my experience quite a few teachers would benefit a lot from it!