http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/30/asia/japan-emperor-akihito-abdication-intl/index.html

Emperor Akihito to abdicate in April 2019, Japan's Prime Minister announces

Akihito, the 125th Emperor of Japan, has reigned as monarch since 1989 when his father Emperor Hirohito died

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
Japan's much-loved Emperor Akihito will stand down on April 30, 2019, becoming the first Japanese monarch to abdicate his post in two centuries.

The decision was made at a meeting of the Imperial House Council and announced by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Friday.

Crown Prince Naruhito, who has already assumed some of his father's duties, will take on the role on May 1, 2019, becoming the 126th Emperor to ascend to Japan's Chrysanthemum Throne.

"I will do my upmost to ensure that the Emperor's abdication and the ascension of the Crown Prince will proceed smoothly with the blessing of all of our citizens," Abe said.In Tokyo on Friday locals expressed their sadness at the loss of their Emperor but pride in how he'd help mold the country in his image.

"He became emperor when Japan was looking for a new national identity and I think his commitment to peace became symbolic of how Japan tried to be perceived in the world. I hope that will continue," Satomi Kitamura told CNN.

Bank worker Kenichiro Yasuda said he felt a "sad" at the news. "But he is getting older so I understand. It is good that his son is ready," he said.
Still a while off but just been announced for that date.

I don't agree with abdication but there you go...

Thoughts?