HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Thread: coding goals

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Lightbulb coding goals

EDIT: I began writing the thread with a theme in mind and finished asking a totally different thing so please ignore the pointless thread title

Do you code pc programs/mobile apps/websites/games? Even if just personally, without intentions of doing the work to pay your bills and things like that

If so, out of curiosity, how did it begin, to you? What or who's inspired you to give your first steps on it and make you discover the pleasure of correlation of cause and effect, if we can put it that way?

I'm just asking this question because, in a moment of reverie, I discovered that there are a lot of people who really like to code but there's never much discussion about how it can be as 'rewarding' as finishing an oil painting, for example. Anyways I might be nuts
    Last edited by LUCPIX; 12-02-2018 at 09:48 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquefiedFilth

Latest Awards:

For me it started with HTML and CSS creating basic websites. My obsession with Habbo when I was a kid lead me to want to create a fansite and this is something I tried to do time and time again. I never had much success when I was younger but started to understand HTML and CSS and the workings behind them but not competently.

Then I chose to take Computer Science as a degree and was thrust into a world of coding. I now can code a decent program in Python, C++ (despite hating it) and Java and have used a few different languages as well. The thing for me when completing coursework is the ownership of the program - what I've just created is absolutely mine and no one else's - there may be similar but all of this code is mine. I also enjoy being super anal with coding and I comment on nearly every single line to tell my future self what I was trying to do - even when debugging code, the console prints paragraphs of data that it shouldn't just so I can see the program working.

In terms of the thread, no one really inspired me, it was just the degree choice and really having to just get on with it. I do enjoy it now, though.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I've just started to learn C#. Years ago I used to attempt to learn languages but in the end I just lost interest and wanted to learn something different. Tbh though coding is always the thing I come back to and this time I'm really going to try

I find coding fun anyway. When I was younger I used to always want to jump straight into gui coding which is probably why I never got anywhere (stupid kid) but this time round I really love the console

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

I have been learning a lot about CSS in the last year and my goals are mainly just to improve that and start learning a bit of Javascript or PHP (probably php) so I can understand more about that. I have a project at work which will involve some of this starting in a few months so yay!!

Also been putting it into use in a new upcoming habbox system

Like LUCPIX Liked

Tokens

I just like to stay proficient enough that when I need to code something my waning skill set and google can let me limp to the finish line! I never have to code anything complex though.
    Like LUCPIX Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    For me it started with HTML and CSS creating basic websites. My obsession with Habbo when I was a kid lead me to want to create a fansite and this is something I tried to do time and time again. I never had much success when I was younger but started to understand HTML and CSS and the workings behind them but not competently.

Then I chose to take Computer Science as a degree and was thrust into a world of coding. I now can code a decent program in Python, C++ (despite hating it) and Java and have used a few different languages as well. The thing for me when completing coursework is the ownership of the program - what I've just created is absolutely mine and no one else's - there may be similar but all of this code is mine. I also enjoy being super anal with coding and I comment on nearly every single line to tell my future self what I was trying to do - even when debugging code, the console prints paragraphs of data that it shouldn't just so I can see the program working.

In terms of the thread, no one really inspired me, it was just the degree choice and really having to just get on with it. I do enjoy it now, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I've just started to learn C#. Years ago I used to attempt to learn languages but in the end I just lost interest and wanted to learn something different. Tbh though coding is always the thing I come back to and this time I'm really going to try

I find coding fun anyway. When I was younger I used to always want to jump straight into gui coding which is probably why I never got anywhere (stupid kid) but this time round I really love the console
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrawrrr View Post
    I have been learning a lot about CSS in the last year and my goals are mainly just to improve that and start learning a bit of Javascript or PHP (probably php) so I can understand more about that. I have a project at work which will involve some of this starting in a few months so yay!!

Also been putting it into use in a new upcoming habbox system
    right, programmers, question to all
    what does one make choose to learn one programming language rather than another? can one be 100% self taught or is it "too complex/hard" for it?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I personally found that once you can understand one type of coding the rest follows. Might be different for you mind. I ended up hating it all because I hate math �� (computer science course too, mathmatics for scientists was just too hard for me!!)
    I love your passion !!!

Oh and self teaching is how most go about it, are you going down that path?
    Last edited by YellowBelli; 03-03-2018 at 10:56 PM.
    Like Joe Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by YellowBelli View Post
    I personally found that once you can understand one type of coding the rest follows. Might be different for you mind. I ended up hating it all because I hate math �� (computer science course too, mathmatics for scientists was just too hard for me!!)
    I love your passion !!!

Oh and self teaching is how most go about it, are you going down that path?
    Well, man, it is a passion from those who are completely unaware of how things work and once the ignorance ceases the enthusiasm might to go away too hahahaha who knows?

But I already have some timid experiences with programming , to be honest, specially if it's ok to label ourselves programmers out of our act of making games on RPG Maker 2003 or similar (a little beyond the basic functions), most of the times hidden, making lil' quick games just for myself, as confidential diary notes, or something. No one was born as a mathematician or artist so I'm thoroughly open to learn things that matter

I'd go for that path mainly because there is something actually nice and rewarding on the correlation of cause of effect, checking something we fought to happen come to life

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I'm proficient in SQL (both T-SQL and PL/SQL).

Like many others I dabble in - HTML, XML, CSS, PHP, Python, C#. Nothing major though.