HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default King of Swaziland changes name of his country

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-43821512

King of Swaziland changes name of country

Kingdom of Swaziland now known officially as the Kingdom of eSwatini

King Mswati III of Swaziland, or eSwatini

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    There are not many people in the world who are able to change the name of a nation. But King Mswati can - he is one of the world's few absolute monarchs.

King Mswati III of Swaziland announced on Wednesday that he was renaming the country "the Kingdom of eSwatini".

The monarch announced the official change in a stadium during celebrations for the 50th anniversary of Swazi independence.

The celebrations also marked the king's 50th birthday.

The new name, eSwatini, means "land of the Swazis". The change was unexpected, but King Mswati has been referring to Swaziland for years as eSwatini.

It was the name the king used when he addressed the UN general assembly in 2017 and at the state opening of the country's parliament in 2014.

He explained that the name had caused some confusion, saying: "Whenever we go abroad, people refer to us as Switzerland."

The BBC's Nomsa Maseko in Swaziland says the announcement of the name change has angered some in the country, who believe the king should focus more on the nation's sluggish economy and HIV epidemic.
    I can't say I have ever heard anyone confuse Switzerland with Swaziland... not really that easy to confuse really, are they? Anyway, can't see this catching on as the new name sounds like an internet search engine - a bit like Czechia being used for the Czech Republic, does anyone actually use that? I certainly don't and haven't heard it either!

I don't really like people changing names for whatever reason anyway of places, unless in really rare circumstances usually where a place has been recently changed anyway so for example Saint Petersburg to Petrograd to Leningrad and back to Saint Petersburg all in the space of a century. Restoring the old name in that case made absolute sense.

It always seems to me to be whitewashing history or is the work of dodgy groups in a country when names of places are changed. To me, the Chinese capital Beijing is still Peking - well you wouldn't call Prague Praha, would you? - and Mumbai is still Bombay, Ho Chi Minh City is still Saigon, Guangzhou is still Canton and so on and so forth. Hands off history.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 19-04-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Shortages

Latest Awards:

How is it even pronounced? EEY-SWAH-TINI oh EH-SWAH-TINI?

They have a point when they say there's more important things than changing a country name...

bella ciao

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

eBay
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

I have seen someone get confused over Switz/Swazi lands - when I said both in a country game we were playing they didn't know they were two countries.

but yes I thought the same as Tom lolool