HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Thread: Chequers

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Chequers

Chequers

Tomorrow the Cabinet gather at Chequers, the Prime Minister's country residence, for a meeting on Brexit that could bring down the Prime Minister and Government as tensions in the Tory Party boil over

The official country residence of the Prime Minister, Chequers Court in Buckinghamshire

If the PM backtracks on what the Conservatives put in their manifesto then Brexiteer cabinet ministers *must* resign and bring her down immediately. I've supported her even in swallowing the transition period, but this would be an absolute betrayal of what we voted for. I don't think they quite understand how angry people will be.

If I were a Tory MP I would have my letter of no confidence written and ready tonight in time to post sometime tomorrow should I need to. Given she's already so weakened, it won't take much to topple her.

Thoughts?

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Here's the write up from the FT.

Quote Originally Posted by FT
    This is it, the moment that truly matters. The summit where Brexit policy will be finally sealed. Such hyperbolic chat is flowing through Westminster in anticipation of Friday’s cabinet meeting, where Theresa May, the prime minister, will bang heads together to produce a joint vision of an economic and trading relationship with the EU. A future relationship that pleases everyone present and has a hope of acceptance in Brussels.

Of course, Mrs May might be able to do this, securing her position for another couple of months. But she just as likely might not. Some ministers may conclude that the compromises they are being asked to make are too great and they can no longer serve in her government. The driveway at Chequers, the country mansion where the meeting will be held, is long and the threats of Brexiters to walk out have been similarly drawn out. There is a sense, however, that matters are finally reaching a crunch point.

If there are resignations, followed by a leadership challenge, the havoc would be huge. The Conservative party, the government and the negotiations would be thrown into chaos. Yet if the reports are accurate about Mrs May’s latest plans, Brexiters may decide they have no other choice. Taken together, her remoulded customs partnership, continued alignment to the single market on goods, remote adherence to the European Court of Justice and the package is a long way from Vote Leave’s vision of “taking back control”. If the true Brexit believers do not quit on principle now, it seems unlikely they ever will.

The most obvious candidate to walk out is Boris Johnson. The foreign secretary has made his displeasure about the direction of travel abundantly clear. His standing within the government has never been weaker. Installing Mr Johnson in the Foreign Office was a test to see if he could mature into a statesman. Few would say he has succeeded. Quitting the cabinet may be the only thing left he can actually do.

Then there is David Davis. Ever since senior civil servant Olly Robbins left his purview last October to conduct negotiations straight from Downing Street, the Brexit secretary’s standing has been weak. Resigning as a result of the compromises being tabled at Friday’s Chequers meeting would confirm he has lost the prime minister’s ear and he has not been in control of the talks for some time.

The other two to watch are Liam Fox and Michael Gove. The international trade secretary has kept out of the public bickering about Brexit. If Mr Fox thinks his ability to broker trade deals has been undermined, he may see little point in sticking around. The environment secretary is also being watched carefully by Brexiters. Mr Gove is now eager to ensure the UK simply gets out of the bloc. Brexit 1.0 may be a bit rubbish, in his view, but v2.0 can be much better. Were he to resign now, it would trigger a full Brexiter rebellion.

The damage inflicted on Mrs May in the event of resignations would not just be about who walks, but also the number. A lone minister quitting, even if senior, is one thing. But if two or more exit the cabinet, the prime minister would be facing a leadership challenge. If Mr Johnson and Mr Davis walk out in unison, Brexit-supporting MPs would question their faith in the prime minister. If this pair united to mount a leadership challenge, Mrs May’s fate would be uncertain.

Of course, no one may walk. Mrs May might concoct a fudge of a consistency to bind the cabinet together. Or it may be that the Brexiters blink once again and accept the reality of where negotiations with Brussels stand and about the views of the House of Commons. Time is short, however, and tough choices have to be made. If the moment of truth does not arrive on Friday, it will be in the autumn. And whenever it comes, the same question faces Brexiters: do they stay in power and argue for what they believe from the inside? Or is the internal battle lost?

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Gonna settle it all with a nice game of draughts
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Exclamation

Plotting tonight...

Glad to see my wing have their act together. May is skating on very thin ice.

48 letters and a leadership ballot takes place.

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

That's the first and last time I vote Conservative if this stands. That utter **** sold us out.

I trusted what she had said for the last two years. What a fool I was.

Social media full of Conservative members cutting up their cards, and Tory voters saying never again. I don't think the politicians understand what they're doing by selling us out - because I am now prepared, if this holds, to vote for an extreme party if need be to bring about what we voted for because that clearly is the only way we'll get it. And don't think I am the only one. Our politicians are scum of the earth. If it comes to it, i'll vote for Corbyn's Labour to get these traitors out of office.

I'll give them a week. If Tory back benchers don't throw this hag out then they're completely useless and we then go on to the next stage of a new anti-establishment party and fight this to the very end because we're not going away. Ever.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 07-07-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

it will be rejected anyway
    Like Zak Liked

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    it will be rejected anyway
    Indeed, and hopefully. I considered myself a pragmatic Leaver in that I wanted a sensible deal between the UK and EU but now in light of this I find myself wanting no deal and just WTO terms. It looks like MPs could be starting to move against her now...

And already...

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Chequers has revived Ukip meaning Corbyn is heading for Number 10 on these figures.

Even worse for the Tories is this - not only is Ukip reviving, but on the back of a potent anger when Britain is out of the EU but *still* copying EU law, being ruled by its judges and wide open borders - reaching those voters ever again will be very hard if not impossible. What the PM is basically doing here is creating the conditions for a huge backlash, the likes of which we only see on the continent in the likes of Italy, France and Austria with insurgent parties.