HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is online now Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Teaching and Career decisions

So... I have just completed my first week in teaching.

I have wanted to be a teacher since Year 9 when I was 11/12 when one teacher really inspired me. Anyway, finally I have started and I have to say I really enjoy it. Sure I did my course and such, but I always have really high self-doubt thinking myself not capable of doing things, so being pessimistic I thought it could be a potential disaster. So I started and I didn't even feel nervous!

I observed the previous teacher, and I have to say I seem to keep students attention more. Whether that's because the novelty of a new teacher we'll see in time, but I much prefer standing up AND I prefer the bigger classes so with me constantly pacing back and forth (the other teacher mainly sat) I feel I intimidate them more so they don't have the chance to talk or mess about.

I've surprised myself so yeah in terms of career I think you HAVE to throw yourself out of comfort zone. Plus i've gone the extra mile and gone and taught in a foreign country where I know nobody and I have no previous experience of teaching. So pretty pleased!

The classroom is reallyyyyyyyy bare though and the school won't cover much so I have gone ahead and ordered a 8ft x 5ft Union Jack for the ceiling as well as 30ft of bunting, going to print off iconic UK pics like The Beatles etc and I am going to set homeworks where the kids have to draw say a picture of famous UK landmarks/English speaking country flags and write about them - anything really to fill up the walls. I'm settling in quite well.

Anyone else interested in teaching or wanting a career change?
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 31-08-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Like TinyFroggy Liked

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Good for you for sticking it all out and getting to where you want to be. I offhandedly mentioned being a teacher to my dad as an option like ten years ago and he hasn't shut up about it since. Whenever career talk comes up he's like YOU WANTED TO BE A TEACHER and I just want to pull out a revolver and shoot myself. I have absolutely no interest in being a teacher anymore. I guess it's pretty delusional, but I'm not really a career-minded person. I quit a stable, well paying job that I could have probably kept for decades for part-time work that pays only half as much, because I felt like all my life was wasting away working and I had no time to do anything else. You spend a third of your life asleep and another third at work... It's really important to be content with what you're doing. Time is a much more valuable resource than money to me. Unfortunately, I can't see myself ever staying in the same place long enough to establish a career, but who knows what will happen.

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

I wanted to be a teacher from the age of 7. Went to uni fully with that expectation and everything, did loads of teaching exp and everything while I was there! I even got into 2 really good unis to do a PGCE, and was really excited for it. Was going to be an English + Classics teacher, life all set!

But while I was at uni I got into journalism, really loved it. Also got a job doing graphic design, accepted a job at the local newspaper (I thought great. I’ll do this for 3 months, save some money then go off for PGCE) - except I just loved working with adults and doing what I loved instead of what always felt like a job!

I think for me, I’ve always been the youngest in my year so teaching I always felt a little... close in age to some of the pupils at times. Teaching older kids was what I wanted to do but I was only 4 years older than some of them - that’s not really enough IMO.

I’m so glad that I decided not to pursue that career but I did genuinely love it for years so I fully understand why people want to do it and respect those who do too!

Like LUCPIX Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I taught for a year at a College and hated it. I think it's one of those professions you have to love to work in. It didn't help that I was young and inexperienced (nearly all my students were older than me). I agree with the comfort zone comment though, it's what holds most people back.

Tokens
    Habbo
    James

Latest Awards:

I went through a phase where I wanted to be a teacher for about 3 months, but I can now honestly say that I have no interest in doing it.

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquefiedFilth

Latest Awards:

Legit just started my PGCE Primary course and will (hopefully) qualify in June, something I've always wanted to do and always enjoyed doing my work experience. Done a bit of class teaching to make sure that it's definetly for me and absolutely loved my time there.

Your story sounds exciting so far! Best of luck with things, share your classroom when it's all finished please!

Tokens
    Habbo
    .:TaylorSwift:

Latest Awards:

Woo! Can I ask what grade level you teach, if it's allowed ?[I know certain school prohibit such information being disclosed online]. You should totally watch Youtubers for inspiration on decorating a room. From the stories I've had from teachers who went from Laboratory Techs to Teachers or Military to Teaching, they seem much happier. From the youtube teacher [Only from the US] vlogs I've seen the one advice they have is to establish rules. I've seen a lot of teachers complain about Disruptive Students/Clasrooms. [So I guess as a first year teacher find something that fits your style to correct such behavior. I've personally worked around children 10/11 & they really do like to push limits]

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Do you all feel like you have a plan now then?

For the first time I do, or an actual plan that is actually happening. I'm going to do a year in Spain here (contract length) then I plan on hopefully saving enough money to go backpacking shortly afterwards (Africa, South America or Asia) and after that not sure. I was looking at ESL jobs in New York City, that would be cool... something to think about anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by .:TaylorSwift: View Post
    Woo! Can I ask what grade level you teach, if it's allowed ?[I know certain school prohibit such information being disclosed online]. You should totally watch Youtubers for inspiration on decorating a room. From the stories I've had from teachers who went from Laboratory Techs to Teachers or Military to Teaching, they seem much happier. From the youtube teacher [Only from the US] vlogs I've seen the one advice they have is to establish rules. I've seen a lot of teachers complain about Disruptive Students/Clasrooms. [So I guess as a first year teacher find something that fits your style to correct such behavior. I've personally worked around children 10/11 & they really do like to push limits]
    Good idea about YouTube, cheers!

And yeah I teach ages from around like 8 year old to adults.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

When I was around 11-12 I wanted to be a teacher, I think I wanted to teach high school pupils. I went to a school for my work experience and they put me in the nursery (I didn't want that, but I enjoyed it and got invited back whenever I liked). I didn't want to be a teacher for a very long time though and now I don't have any interest in it.

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

@Joe;

Here's my classroom. It was PLAIN with nothing when I arrived, nearly done now. Aiming to put a poster up (pop art style) of the Queen on the front wall, will start putting up kids work too, and may get some LED strip lights around the black board for the evening classes so can have red/blue/white.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast