HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

View Poll Results: Do you think the word should be banned?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
    The results in this poll are hidden.
  • Yes

The results are hidden 0%
  • No

The results are hidden 0%
    Conor is offline The Santa of Habbox
    HabboxLive Guest DJ (Conor)
    Guest Events Organiser
    HabboxWiki Staff

Tokens
    Habbo
    FUNISMYME

Latest Awards:

Default Students Call for The Pogues to Remove A Word From Their Song

moderator alert Clue #002: Too busy playing video games to help the Wise Men? Let us know which game in this thread.

Well, recently there have been articles going round in the newspapers with students calling for the word Faggot to be removed from The Pogues song Fairytale of New York. I will include the lyric video to the song at the end of this thread for your views.

Student newspaper editor calls for word 'faggot' to be banned from Pogues Christmas song in case it offends homosexuals

~ Article title from the Daily Mail
    The article went on to say;

Tom Haynes wrote opinion piece for student paper about Fairytale of New York
    He said that people should stop saying 'faggot' as it could offend LGBT people
    Some accused of him of being a 'snowflake', argued word has multiple meanings
    Since 2007 BBC have bleeped word from the song, which was released in 1987
    Following on from that, the article from the Daily Mail when on to say;

London-based Tom Haynes, assistant editor of student paper The Tab, has split social media over his opinion piece on The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl's festive hit.

In it he claims a line, sung by MacColl, which goes 'you scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy faggot is a homophobic slur which is just as bad as using the N-word.
    However, there are some people who are protecting the song, one person going on to say;

People are so sensitive and that’s coming from a gay person people can sing it all they want what is wrong with people.

~ Adam Curtis commenting on the article for the Daily Mail
    However, one person is jumping to protect the song, saying;

It has NEVER been okay to use homophobic slurs in any context, I don’t see why it should be suddenly okay just because it’s in a song? It literally does not harm you or affect your life by removing one word from your vocabulary or omitting that word from the song. If you wouldn’t use the n word, don’t use the f word.

Emma Louise Lack commenting on the article for the Daily Mail
    So what's your views? Should is be banned or should the song carry on saying the words?

Last edited by Sloths; 23-12-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Conor
    FUNISMYME on Habbo

Guest HabboxLive DJ & Guest Event Host & HabboxWiki Staff & Competitions Staff

Previously one of the longest running HabboxLive Senior DJ, Ex Event Host, Ex Competition Staff, Ex Article Writer, Ex Help Desk Staff

See something on the Wiki that needs updating? Feel free to PM me info and I'll get it sorted.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Comes up every year, I personally don't really care either way. It would be easy enough to censor it for radio and whatnot, and not exactly a massive stretch to edit in the word "braggart" instead which would still work without creating a pause in the song, but I won't lost sleep over it
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-