HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Thread: Open University

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Default Open University

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Open University? If so, the short version of this post is that I'd love some advice. I'll be more specific below but if you cba to read it just share anything you know about the OU anyways

SO felt like I've been stuck in a bit of a rut for the last few months - I have a full time job where my coworkers have basically become my family and I love them but it's certainly not what I want to do forever. I dropped out of uni super early on (like eight week in lol) last year for a whole load of reasons but the relevant ones now are:
    - I hated being a full time student, and I found not having an actual paying job to go to really uncomfortable and unsatisfying
    - whilst I enjoyed my subject (sociology) at A Level, I didn't really have any future career ideas following doing it as a degree at uni so studying it felt completely pointless to me
    - I really don't like being a traditional student. I've always hated formal education but loved learning and I like to do it in my own way at my own pace. I find it much better to sit down and teach myself stuff (obvs still from a book or online or whatever, I just mean not with a teacher stood in front of me asking questions to 300 people in a lecture hall).

So yeah, figured the open uni might be a pretty good option for me but naturally I'm nervous about starting such a big change. I've taken a look online and there are a few courses that interest me and one in particular thats really sparked my attention. I've requested they email me the prospectuses of the 2 areas I'm most interested in (then requested a third one just for the hell of it but don't really want to do that) so thought I'd sit down and read them after work tomorrow but in the meantime, any thoughts?

Even if you have no exp with the OU I'd be grateful for any advice - I'm nervous as hell and I can't work out if i'm being naive or crazy for maybe wanting to do this. keep hopping back and forth between being like "hell yeah this'll be great for me" and "ahh shit what if I just flake out and fail or what if I hate it like I hated uni before"

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I haven't heard a bad word about them. I don't know much about their operation but obviously their focus is on distance learning/adult education. The flexible studying may be what you need but only you can make that decision. One thing I would say is that make sure you are 100% committed before registration as self-study can become a problem esp regarding motivation.

The only dealing I've had with the OU is a meeting at their main campus in Milton Keynes. Nice enough, professional outfit.
    Like Empired Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

Not personal experience but I know of people who did do degrees through them and they all have great things to say and they're fairly high rated.

I think the most difficult thing is just having the personal motivation to study if you don't HAVE to - if you're at uni then you're going to lectures, you're meeting professors, you're with other students, on campus which keeps you even a LITTLE bit motivated. I know of people who have worked full time jobs and tried to do an OU course and ending up burning out so you'd definitely need to have a proper motivated plan and stick to it!

It's worth you also looking at Distance Learning courses at other universities - most offer long distance/very part time courses at reduced rates on a load of topics!

Tokens
    Habbo
    TinyFroggy

Latest Awards:

I agree like others. Not having a direct supervision may cause you slacking off. However, it's all about self motivation and commitment. I wish you all the best if you wish to proceed.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

It's good and it's cheap, I did it at a time when literally everything was a bit shit so didn't stick at it but the bits I actually did were good and there are so many modules to pick from. Unless they've changed it all since I did it, it works a little bit like American colleges in that you pick certain modules from X Y Z areas and it builds to a degree of some sort - so you could have two people with the same degree who only did 2 of the same modules. Might be worth doing an intro level course as a taster just to see if it works for you, you do get course credits for those too so it's not a waste of your time or anything
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    Jarkie

Latest Awards:

I have no direct links with the Open University. However, I have a friend who is studying there and I have to say, they are probably the best for Distant learning, as they are very keen of regular (skype) meetings and making sure things are fine on the learning portal.

One of my current managers studied at the Open University and she is currently earning 50K a year, so it can't be bad!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Thanks for the feedback team

Still haven't properly made my mind up but I'm looking into it more and more - still completely torn between two courses and I think I need to talk to some fam/fam friends to help me decide. But I'm refusing to rush into anything rly

Tokens
    Habbo
    Jarkie

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Empired View Post
    Thanks for the feedback team

Still haven't properly made my mind up but I'm looking into it more and more - still completely torn between two courses and I think I need to talk to some fam/fam friends to help me decide. But I'm refusing to rush into anything rly
    With this, I would recommend calling them up for a chat - Admissions teams can be very helpful

Like Empired Liked

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

i couldn't do as you really need to be driven to do it and i wasn't keen on Uni anyway

but i think it's a good concept especially for people working or who are older