HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Managed No-Deal preparations stepped up: Chancellor to release £2bn for Govt Dept's

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-funding.html

103 days to go: Chancellor Hammond to unlock £2 billion in No Deal funding to prepare Britain for the rejection of PM May's Withdrawal Agreement

- Chancellor set to open £2billion of No Deal funding to bidding from ministers
    - Up to £500million set to go to the Home Office to tackle issues at the border
    - Customs systems are set to have £25million ploughed into extra preparations
    - So far around £500million has been spent preparing no deal contingencies

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Mail
    Chancellor Philip Hammond will unlock £2billion for no deal preparations this week as Theresa May makes little progress toward getting her deal agreed by MPs. The Prime Minister will tomorrow report back to MPs on the failure of last week's EU summit to create the necessary legal assurances to calm rebels.

On Tuesday the Cabinet is due to discuss the details of no deal preparations with less than four months until exit day.

The Chancellor will invite ministers to bid for a slice of the funding to get their departments ready for the prospect of exit without a transition period on March 29. The Sun said around £500million is expected to be ploughed into the Home Office to deal with potential problems at the border. Customs systems are set to benefit from another £25million in a bid to ensure the ports can function in no deal. Environment Secretary Michael Gove is set to have £400million to spend on agriculture, fisheries and food-related policy areas. Trade Secretary Liam Fox will spend £100million hiring trade negotiators around the world in case a raft of new trade deals are needed urgently.
    Finally some sense! Looks like it is being stepped up now.

I read on Twitter reports of companies being sent instructions (not guidelines) on preparations for No Deal in regards to customs and border requirements that will come into force on the 29th March 2019 between Britain and the EU in the now-likely event of No Deal. My friend also works for a large chemical company that heavily trades with Europe, and they had a meeting two weeks ago discussing the plan the company had in such an event. My friend, initially a Remainer but now pro-Brexit, told me there was no worrying, just plans.

Meanwhile amid the rumours...

For reference, £2 billion is a lot smaller than the £39bn bill the EU is demanding and the £16bn we hand it every year. Bargain!

Thoughts?
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 16-12-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

part of the 39 billion is to cover the costs of things we have already agreed to as with any contract, including MEP pensions which mr farage will gladly pocket
    you can't start your new wave of "open for business" by tearing up your existing contracts, that's like going to a bank to take out a loan immediately after defaulting on your debts
    it's also not 16bn by any measure as seen here: https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/
    it's also not without precedent this will go over budget
    and without a deal (and even with one) it's almost certainly going to take a hit to gdp which pretty much nullifies the economic argument you've just made
    and you will probably say "oh project fear" or something when really, if you break down the fact gdp is just economic activity, then any kind of border delay is going to hurt gdp as you effectively end up trading less in the same amount of time (plus any lost potential custom due to customs fees and such)

now I'm thinking you will probably bring up some other EU country as if that is somehow relevant to what I've just said when it isn't

now at this point you're probably going to say "but the referendum wasn't about the economy!!" which is completely irrelevant to what I've just said as the point you've made is related to the economy

let's also not forget the non-gdp issues that will arise with no deal, such as with aviation

also quite frankly it sounds like you made your friend up for the purpose of trying to find a positive economic side to this, when literally no news article puts it in a positive light
    Like lawrawrrr Liked

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    part of the 39 billion is to cover the costs of things we have already agreed to as with any contract, including MEP pensions which mr farage will gladly pocket
    £39bn for PENSIONS!? And programmes like Galileo that we're being frozen out of? That's nearly as big as our Education budget!

I say No Deal and No Thanks! Let's spend that money on our hospitals, schools and pensioners instead of Mr Juncker's EU wine cellar.

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz
    you can't start your new wave of "open for business" by tearing up your existing contracts, that's like going to a bank to take out a loan immediately after defaulting on your debts
    it's also not 16bn by any measure as seen here: https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/
    it's also not without precedent this will go over budget
    More scare stories, here's Remoaner and Tony Blair's best friend Sir Richard Branson the other day at it too, taking it to new levels.

and without a deal (and even with one) it's almost certainly going to take a hit to gdp which pretty much nullifies the economic argument you've just made
    and you will probably say "oh project fear" or something when really, if you break down the fact gdp is just economic activity, then any kind of border delay is going to hurt gdp as you effectively end up trading less in the same amount of time (plus any lost potential custom due to customs fees and such)
    Any fees they apply can be applied back. Their call.

now I'm thinking you will probably bring up some other EU country as if that is somehow relevant to what I've just said when it isn't

now at this point you're probably going to say "but the referendum wasn't about the economy!!" which is completely irrelevant to what I've just said as the point you've made is related to the economy

let's also not forget the non-gdp issues that will arise with no deal, such as with aviation
    Interesting on the aviation point which I have seen mentioned before, the EU needs to secure an agreement with us on this or else their flights to Canada and the United States won't be able to fly over our airspace and will be considerably longer and more expensive.

also quite frankly it sounds like you made your friend up for the purpose of trying to find a positive economic side to this, when literally no news article puts it in a positive light
    Not at all.

I have two friends who voted Remain and who are now pro-No Deal, and one friend who voted Remain and is now indifferent.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 16-12-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    £39bn for PENSIONS!? And programmes like Galileo that we're being frozen out of? That's nearly as big as our Education budget!

I say No Deal and No Thanks! Let's spend that money on our hospitals, schools and pensioners instead of Mr Juncker's EU wine cellar.
    yes it's called agreements the UK has agreed to
    you seem to have a worringly lack of understand in how contracts work

it's quite simple, you can't start this crusade for a "self led" global trade (which I do not believe we are doing) by shitting on our existing agreements

More scare stories, here's Remoaner and Tony Blair's best friend Sir Richard Branson the other day at it too, taking it to new levels.

None of what I said is a scare story
    you will look unappealing for trade if you are shown not to honour agreements (high risk of no return)
    it isn't 16 billion as demonstrated in my source
    and it isn't without precedent for pretty much any major project to go over budget

Any fees they apply can be applied back. Their call.
    irrelevant to what I just said
    I can only assume you can't refute that this is economically damaging

Interesting on the aviation point which I have seen mentioned before, the EU needs to secure an agreement with us on this or else their flights to Canada and the United States won't be able to fly over our airspace and will be considerably longer and more expensive.
    the only person I can see mentioning this is David Davis who has been proven to talk out of his arse

Not at all.

I have two friends who voted Remain and who are now pro-No Deal, and one friend who voted Remain and is now indifferent.
    and I have 3 friends who voted to leave and now would remain
    see how easy that is

your point is meaningless without any actual source
    Like lawrawrrr Liked

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

So me and David Davis MP are talking out of our arses are we?

This literally just happened.

Another Remoan scare story up in smoke.

Like I say, this will be replicated across sectors as No Deal approaches.

And we'll wake up on the 30th March 2019 as we did the 24th June 2016.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 17-12-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

you seem to have ignored the rest of my post, so I can only assume you agree that you were wrong with all of that

undertaker you really need to stop calling genuine concern a scare story, but the fact is this is hardly no deal if there is a deal in this part
    the fact is if we had followed the wishes of some people and just dropped out without these 2 years stuff like this would not have happened for a fair time given it has been about 1 3/4 years?
    Like lawrawrrr Liked

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by dbgtz View Post
    you seem to have ignored the rest of my post, so I can only assume you agree that you were wrong with all of that
    There's no point arguing over what my friend said, either believe me or don't.

undertaker you really need to stop calling genuine concern a scare story, but the fact is this is hardly no deal if there is a deal in this part
    the fact is if we had followed the wishes of some people and just dropped out without these 2 years stuff like this would not have happened for a fair time given it has been about 1 3/4 years?
    I was always in favour of Article 50 but here's two instances now regarding aviation and customs checks, with No Deal seemingly the result, where the warnings of "cliff edge" and "chaos" are just nonsense peddled by people who are desperate to make us all vote again.

Here's my next prediction, in the face of No Deal we'll quickly come to similar mini-agreements on tariffs, residency and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    The UK has negotiated an agreement to stay in the Common Transit Convention (CTC) even if there is no Brexit deal between the two sides. This means that goods can continue to be transported freely between the UK and the EEA with customs declarations and import duties only being paid when the goods arrive at their final destination. It is particularly important for the Republic of Ireland which transports the majority of its exports to the EU across the UK “land bridge”. More evidence that sensible contingency deals will be signed in a “managed no deal” scenario…
    Do you agree with me that No Deal, if managed now, can work out fine?

And secondly that it is a preferable outcome to the PM's Deal, which would trap us in a backstop and cost £39bn?
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 17-12-2018 at 10:30 PM.

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

101 days: It's ramping up.

It does appear to be Downing Street's intention now to run the clock down.

Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 17-12-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    lawrawrrr

Latest Awards:

No deal is going to cost this country an absolute fortune. This entire freaking process has already cost the country an absolute fortune. And **** all the people over here working, they can just GO BACK HOME WHERE THEY BELONG!!111!!!

but omg no deal how great xxxxx

look i disagree with the referendum result but whatever, a slim majority of the country voted to leave so fine we're leaving but no deal dpesnt seem to benefit anyone in my opinion based on what i've read

i'm sure i'm about to be told all the ways i'm wrong but that's my opinion

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

@lawrawrrr;

The remarkable thing is, the money already spent on this and what will be spent on this is still a fraction of our annual EU contribution.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 18-12-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast