HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sloths

Latest Awards:

Default Do audiobooks count as reading?

TinyFroggy’s thread reminded me of a conversation with my friend about audiobooks and whether listening to an audiobook counted as reading.

What do you think?

I think if you’re taking in the story and following what happens then it definitely counts. My friend thinks this too but she can’t listen to new books otherwise she loses track of the plot so can only listen to books she’s read before. I think it’s unfair on those with poorer vision to not count them, if you listen to Harry Potter or read it you’re still getting the story and know exactly who Voldemort is either way.

Like tbl, TinyFroggy Liked

Country
    United States of America
    Tokens
    Habbo
    __tbl

Latest Awards:

I definitely think as long as you're ACTIVELY listening to the book and not passively doing so, it counts. If you can't talk about it after you're finished listening it can't count because you have no idea what its about haha.

Tokens
    Habbo
    TinyFroggy

Latest Awards:

I guess it still counts as reading. The benefit of reading is not the pupil muscle stretching but your brain processing, evaluating and thinking. With the audiobook I think it does the same

Tokens

Latest Awards:

No, because you're not reading, you're listening.
    Like LUCPIX, Zak Liked

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

Audiobooks are the contemporary equivalent of the spoken radio soap operas from pre-TV times,, the only "reading" act in audiobooks comes to the bit you're sorting them by their titles on Spotify, for example

"My friend thinks this too but she can’t listen to new books otherwise she loses track of the plot so can only listen to books she’s read before."

Showing how bland is the "aborbing" capacity of audiobooks comparing to the physical books! Even braille is more effective
    Last edited by LUCPIX; 17-12-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    TinyFroggy

Latest Awards:

Technically, it's two different thing but theoretically, the gains are the same? Maybe? XD

Country
    United Kingdom
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Sectional

Latest Awards:

I think this is actually a rather interesting topic for discussion. There are many ways we can look at this, firstly you have the fact that listening to a book and reading one are 2 completely different things, but the overall outcome of the both are exactly the same. However you wouldn't want your kid to come back from school to tell you that he/she has read a whole book today, to find out that all he/she did was listen to the teacher read the words for them.

However when listening to an audio book, you don't have to focus as much, which frees up your mind to take in the story being read to you, but either way whether you're reading or listening, you're still consuming the information, and depending upon your preferred method of learning, would probably affect which way you'd prefer to consume the information. If you're linguistic then you probably prefer physically reading. If you're spatial then you more than likely prefer to watch the movie, and if you're auditory-musical then my guess would be an audio book is your preferred method.

So yes, I think audio books do count as reading, it would be unfair for the blind or partially blind not to be able to call themselves a reader, when the outcome for information is the same, just like the learning methods, different ways to learn based on each individual person, however the overall outcome in the same, so whatever is best for an individual person.

There's another shooting today, and this one was bad
    I'm glad that we all hope and pray, but it takes more than that
    We've been trying, we've been crying
    Hoping that they will do more than keep lying
    I need to believe that people can change
    Or else this life has all been in vain
    What's the point of fighting if we're fighting for a lie?

I'm not senDing sublimInal messagEs to rule breakers

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

If the listened word slim to none differs from the typographic reading, how many mobile calls do I need to make before officially becoming a literate?

Tokens
    Habbo
    TinyFroggy

Latest Awards:

It differ's from calling or talking, in a way how the narrative goes, how it is one sided (therefore, requires more focusing) and the processing of information and story. Mostly narrative. Plus most of the books instills good values and ideas which builds up a character.

Tokens
    Habbo
    LUCPIX!

Latest Awards:

A storytelling task, beautifully done by page-letters duo and aaudddiiooboookkksss, but the latter one lacks some compulsory substance; it only makes us to think we've learnt something!

Comparing to all the stuff that's been made before the naturalization of mp3's with somebody buzzing stories in our ears such as mosquitoes, Audiobooks seem to be very "passive", assuming Sophie's explanation on how her friend tends to forget about what she's listened and the "you don't have to focus" bit that's been said with so much reason!

You don't have any control of the reading timing (assuming by popular demand that audiobook's listeners are "readers" whilst the narrator is, consequently the "typewriter" ha ahah ha h), if you don't understand a word that's been said there's a chance you will not know how to spell it on search bar (which doesn't make it the best tool of enhancing the vocabulary) and, if one's allowing themself to outsource the "to-convert letters to sound and ideas" function to someone else, how on Earth can we be sure our brain is actually absorbing from a 4GB Lord of the Rings audiobook FLAC? All of this is a half personal and mayb biological point but, anyways, the spoken voice still is quite lacking in texture and what we can call "activeness" to attempt mimicking all of the substance and control we've got once intrinsically glued to an awesome novel in paper, on which the itinerary is 100% ours, laughing of the prophecy which demonizes the analogical and makes us to think it's effective for our mentality to use such solitary and pleasing experience as something of multitask
    Last edited by LUCPIX; 17-12-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast