HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Meanies

Latest Awards:

Default Mobile App Database

Not something I've ever played with before but basically I'm looking to make a mobile app which is set around a database. It's nothing fancy I just have no idea where to start and googling has just made it seem way more complicated. Basically I want to have a database of postcodes linked to relevant delivery charges, then on the app side of it you just enter the postcode and it returns the delivery charge. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?? Needs to be done at no cost too but a lot of these 'app builders' have charges in there somewhere

cake

Tokens
    Habbo
    LiquefiedFilth

Latest Awards:

@Meanies; when I did a mobile app for Uni I just used firebase. Really easy to implement and free.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Meanies View Post
    Not something I've ever played with before but basically I'm looking to make a mobile app which is set around a database. It's nothing fancy I just have no idea where to start and googling has just made it seem way more complicated. Basically I want to have a database of postcodes linked to relevant delivery charges, then on the app side of it you just enter the postcode and it returns the delivery charge. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?? Needs to be done at no cost too but a lot of these 'app builders' have charges in there somewhere
    Is the relationship between the postcode and delivery charge 1:1? i.e. a postcode will have only one delivery charge associated to it? What database are you looking to use?

Tokens
    Habbo
    Meanies

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    @Meanies; when I did a mobile app for Uni I just used firebase. Really easy to implement and free.
    I will definitely have a look into that one, thanks for the suggestion!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zak View Post
    Is the relationship between the postcode and delivery charge 1:1? i.e. a postcode will have only one delivery charge associated to it? What database are you looking to use?
    Yes, each postcode will have a single delivery charge. I'm thinking along the lines of having it so you just enter a partial postcode (such as XX11 1) to cover a small area, rather than every single full postcode. I'm not looking to use any database in particular, anything that is easy and free really!! Once it's set up it will require little to no maintenance.

cake

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Meanies View Post
    I will definitely have a look into that one, thanks for the suggestion!!

Yes, each postcode will have a single delivery charge. I'm thinking along the lines of having it so you just enter a partial postcode (such as XX11 1) to cover a small area, rather than every single full postcode. I'm not looking to use any database in particular, anything that is easy and free really!! Once it's set up it will require little to no maintenance.
    I've never built a mobile application but I think SQLite is quite popular (it's also free). There should be lots of tutorials online showing you how to set on of these up. As for the database.. One table containing the postcode and delivery charge value, two procedures.. GetPostcode (for your search) and GetDeliveryChargeByPostcode (using postcode as the parameter to get the delivery charge).

Is this helpful? I realise I may be oversimplifying things.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

You can get Post Code data from Office National Statistics which will provide it in CSV format - along with some other data such as political ward codes and any relevant Local Authority data which is quite useful.

I’m slightly confused about the charges though, how will the charges be calculated if the charges are being stored in a DB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always lurking around, never really post.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Nli. View Post
    You can get Post Code data from Office National Statistics which will provide it in CSV format - along with some other data such as political ward codes and any relevant Local Authority data which is quite useful.

I’m slightly confused about the charges though, how will the charges be calculated if the charges are being stored in a DB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Each postcode only has a single delivery charge

So in the database you'd have like..?

Postcode Ward Latitude Longitude DeliveryCharge
    E1 7AE Portsoken 1.3423 12.2231 2.50
    E1 7AF Portsoken 1.3244 12.2341 3.50