HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Thread: Reading & Books

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Reading & Books

Wondered, how often do you all read?

I used to read a lot in terms of books, and self-educated to a great extent. But the last few years.. nothing. It isn't good. I read daily online of course, but nothing substantial like a book. So I decided to get back into it, and just ordered my first book in a good few years.

So i'm going to make an effort to broaden my mind on some issues that I am not clear on.

Anyone else recently bought any books?

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

I used to read all the time as a kid and was a massive bookworm. Got to Year 11/Sixth form-ish and pretty much stopped reading altogether which was sad.

Picked it up properly again earlier this year because my workplace is next door to the village library so I can just pop in there after work on Mondays and Fridays (open late evening) and get a new book. I try to allocate Monday as my weekly library day to make sure I'm reading at least one book a week but I'm not too strict with myself about it.

I've made a pact with myself to try and challenge myself and self educate more, but also ensure I enjoy reading so I'm picking up a wide variety of stuff. Finished reading John Stuart Mill's essays on liberty and utilitarianism recently which I did really enjoy in the end but unsurprisingly was SO DIFFICULT to get through cause of the language and how dense they were and stuff. But then I also mix it up by reading frivolous fiction too to keep enjoying it, so just I finished Dave Eggers' new book out this year called The Parade (which was actually kind of a timeless comment on war and politics and not frivolous fiction at all but still enjoyable) which was quite dark but really compelling!

But I've been enjoying going to the library so much more than buying books and would recommend getting a library card to everyone if they don't already have it. Or dust it off and start using it again if you're like me and have had one for years but never touched it. I do love buying books and love the new book smell but my bookshelves are literally sagging in the middle because I've double-stacked them and stacked them two-high on top of each other so I just can't let myself come to own more books. Plus it's super expensive and lots of books I choose on a whim and won't necessarily want to keep them.

Basically, get a library card and choose a mixture of books for entertainment, education and a challenge!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Sloths

Latest Awards:

I read a lot, currently on books number 26 and 27 of the year (yes I read more than one book at once), although I read mainly fiction for fun rather than educational books.

I’m trying to do a book buying ban this year and our city library is currently closed for earthquake damage repair until further notice so I’ve mostly been trying to read all the books on my shelves which is actually a good thing! I do get books sent to me to review so it’s not like I’m not getting any new books but my shelves are getting a good go through at least!

Tokens
    Habbo
    Empired

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Sloths View Post
    I read a lot, currently on books number 26 and 27 of the year (yes I read more than one book at once), although I read mainly fiction for fun rather than educational books.

I’m trying to do a book buying ban this year and our city library is currently closed for earthquake damage repair until further notice so I’ve mostly been trying to read all the books on my shelves which is actually a good thing! I do get books sent to me to review so it’s not like I’m not getting any new books but my shelves are getting a good go through at least!
    God I could really do with going through the books on my shelves and reading all the ones I've bought over the years but then neglected. There must be dozens if I'm honest.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I read a lot, and I write a lot. I think both compliment each other. I haven't read a novel in a little while (my living situation and issues with noise make it difficult, though I'm moving next month and have so many books I'm looking forward to picking up) but I have been reading a lot of short story collections and poetry recently.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Habbic

Latest Awards:

The last time I read a book was in high school...

I think the only book I've ever fully read was of mice and men...

Tokens
    Habbo
    zammy149

Latest Awards:

tao te ching and i ching the book of changes its about taoism sort of a religion, i always read to make sense of the chaos that goes on with everything that happens. its sorta my therapy

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

actually got around to reading some of my book by the pool today lol

Tokens
    Habbo
    Zak

Latest Awards:

I read a fair bit. I'm reading George Orwell's "1984" at the moment.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Try to get through a book a week, bigly big reader. Need a bigger house to get a nice library going as most get tossed after 1 read. And it’s becoming a bit of a problem. Mostly non fiction nowadays. Currently reading Michael Owen - reboot my life my time. Proper ******* this guy but entertaining read thus far.