HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    It's quite refreshing to have a government with a strategy and not just waving a white flag. I'm interested to see whether the opposition will manage to push through their legislation in time. If I remember rightly, their last legislation was done super quick so it might be possible but that was with a government only feebly opposing it. Might be harder if this government will take more extraordinary lengths to slow things down
    If they do manage to pass something, hard to imagine how at the moment. They can demand the Prime Minister request an extension, but that doesn't mean he has to accept the terms of an extension. Ultimately, although they are trying, the House of Commons practically cannot act as the executive - it can only remove an executive and replace it with another.

All this said, Number 10 have said they will advise the Queen to refuse to grant Royal Assent to the bill if it manages to pass so let us hope that they mean what they are saying, unlike the previous PM who was walked all over. Yes it'll create an enormous shit storm on Twitter and in north London as the prorogation did, but the Remainers are kicking conventions over left, right and centre so who cares.

Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 30-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

By all accounts, they're struggling to decide what the terms of the extension would be. For example, if they just asked the Prime Minister to ask for one, Boris could legally ask for a 6 hour extension and that'd be kosher. So they have to be more specific but they can't agree what the extension should be for. I imagine that this divide+conquer strategy is exactly what they were aiming for.

Isn't that refusing Royal Assent thing just journalistic speculation? Part of the problem of following this story is that it all happens in the westminster bubble and they just start speculating about what could happen rather than what actually will. I am not convinced they'll let it get that far tbh. The prorogation thing is fairly easy to defend and constitutionally above board (longest Parliament with little to do, its only 4 days, this is what always happens, other PMs have done it etc etc) whereas vetoing a Bill you disagree with is more suspect.

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Amusing to see the would-be heads of the Government of Remainer National Unity so popular.

Part of me wants to see a Lab-SNP-Lib Dem-Green-SDLP-Change UK government just to see the electoral bloodbath that would follow lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    By all accounts, they're struggling to decide what the terms of the extension would be. For example, if they just asked the Prime Minister to ask for one, Boris could legally ask for a 6 hour extension and that'd be kosher. So they have to be more specific but they can't agree what the extension should be for. I imagine that this divide+conquer strategy is exactly what they were aiming for.
    Indeed.

I read they were looking into inserting an amendment clause into the EU Withdrawal Act forbidding No Deal, but how can that be possible when our departure from the EU isn't based solely on domestic law? They cannot amend the EU treaties and change the terms of Article 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity.
    Isn't that refusing Royal Assent thing just journalistic speculation? Part of the problem of following this story is that it all happens in the westminster bubble and they just start speculating about what could happen rather than what actually will. I am not convinced they'll let it get that far tbh. The prorogation thing is fairly easy to defend and constitutionally above board (longest Parliament with little to do, its only 4 days, this is what always happens, other PMs have done it etc etc) whereas vetoing a Bill you disagree with is more suspect.
    Apparently it is being explored by Number 10.

It makes sense constitutionally as Acts are meant to be passed by governments, if they seize control of the order papers and push one through against the government then that is breaking convention and is a constitutional unknown. I hope they do it if they need to. Fight fire with fire.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham...treme-measures
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 30-08-2019 at 10:18 PM.

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

As @Inseriousity; said, so nice to have discipline back.

I would also tell any of them thinking about it that they can forget any peerages.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

nice to know were being run by unelected bureaucrat dominic cummings
    Like cameron446: Liked

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Gove on Marr this morning confirming without confirming that the government would ignore/find a way around any law passed.

The Sunday Times was reporting there are a number of ways around that Number 10 are looking at including;

- The PM requests extension but then vetoes the extension in the EU Council.
    - The PM requests extension but requests Hungarian PM Orban vetoes it in the EU Council.
    - The PM requests an extension, but doesn't have any obligation to accept the terms.
    - The PM requests an extension of an hour.
    - The PM threatens to veto all EU business if extension is agreed.
    - The PM advises the Queen not to sign the extension into law.

Hard to see how it is possible to legislate around all of those possibilities.

Tokens
    Habbo
    dbgtz

Latest Awards:

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Looks like Number 10s threat of deselection is working with some.

Could be very tight if a handful of Tory Remainers vote for, and a handful of Labour Leavers vote against.

I heard that Remainer MPs want to extend to May 2020 - another 9 **** months of this. Are they insane? I have a friend who voted Remain, and even his reaction was WTF. As he said, if they're not going to vote for the only deal on the table (3 times rejected) then what more is there to do for another 9 months? 500 hours of parliamentary debate on this and there's not a majority for anything in the House of Commons - other than the majority in the country that was to Leave the European Union.

And now the odious Blair creature wades in.

HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo

Latest Awards:

Well today the PM threatened a General Election if the House of Commons votes tomorrow to again break convention and seize control of the HoC timetable. It is being treated as a Confidence issue, so if the government loses tomorrow then on Wednesday they will pre-empt the extension legislation and table a Vote of No Confidence which will trigger a General Election if two-thirds of MPs vote for it as expected.

Any Tory MP voting to change the timetable/extension has been told they will lose the whip, effectively ending their careers. Big day tomorrow.

The behaviour of politicians in refusing to accept a democratic vote, I genuinely never thought we would sink this low as a country. Depressing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12