HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Since critical thinking and philosophy are kinda sorta alike (arent they?) you should probably just choose one of the two rather than try taking on 4 a levels. Would certainly advise against taking 5 as you will just die and you only need 3 to get into uni anyways.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Publicised View Post
    tom behave yrself, if you want to do a career in media or ict then of course taking media/ict is important. bet you wanted to put drama there too and remembered i do acting
    photography i consider as a hobby rather than a career (unless you can make money from it ALL the time, which is hard), but if you enjoy it and you want to do it, then why not? it's yr life, don't live it to please others.
    Our family know a couple of people at the BBC and have talked to them about exactly this, they immediately throw CVs with Media on in the bin, they're looking for people with subjects like English Lit, Philosophy etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    e-rebel forum moderator
    :8

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Recursion View Post
    Our family know a couple of people at the BBC and have talked to them about exactly this, they immediately throw CVs with Media on in the bin, they're looking for people with subjects like English Lit, Philosophy etc.
    He's right xL

It's done quite alot in Universities as well. They have a list of what they call 'soft subject's - which they don't approve of when they see people applying for Uni. There were 2 uni's who did post their 'soft subject' list, but I think only 1 of them does it now..not sure which one.

But yeah - soft subjects would include Law (for some reason they prefer you to learn Law in uni not college) and Business. They prefer more subjects like said above ^ English Literature and History etc.
    /

Tokens
    Habbo
    djclune

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzervaldez View Post
    He's right xL

It's done quite alot in Universities as well. They have a list of what they call 'soft subject's - which they don't approve of when they see people applying for Uni. There were 2 uni's who did post their 'soft subject' list, but I think only 1 of them does it now..not sure which one.

But yeah - soft subjects would include Law (for some reason they prefer you to learn Law in uni not college) and Business. They prefer more subjects like said above ^ English Literature and History etc.
    Law isn't regarded as a soft subject lol. Obiously it's not highly regarded compared to Maths, History, English etc.

It is true that if you apply for law at uni, having a level law doesn't really add much favor as they prefer to teach it a different way, but it’s certainly not a soft subject, such as media, film studies or photography!

( Yes, i'm currently studying a level law )
    That's when Ron vanished, came back speaking Spanish
    Lavish habits, two rings, twenty carats

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Universities love philosophy, as philosophy is a good demonstration on how you think, how well you can look out of the box and more importantly how well you can write (if you can't write essays I'd run away from philosophy, fast). To the person who said Critical Thinking is like Philosophy, it's not - Critical Thinking is a waste of time, it's remotely interesting but a lot of universities class it along side "General Studies" - Universities prefer you to show you can think critically through academic means, therefore A levels such as Philosophy, History/Classics and English Literature are often high on their lists of preferred subjects.

I'm currently doing a Psychology BSc alongside Human Neuroscience and my philosophy A level has helped me tremendously since I've been here as in many ways picking apart the ideas of philosophers is similar to picking apart the ideas of a psychologist, in the sense it's often evaluating what can't be empirically proven as someone said above.

It depends what you want to do at University although philosophy will help with most BA and some BSc degrees.
    "You live more riding bikes like these for 5 minutes than most people do in their entire lives"

RIP Marco Simoncelli ~ 1987 - 2011
    Previous Habbox Roles: Shows Manager, Help Desk Manager, Forum Moderator, Forum Super Moderator, Assistant Forum Manager, Forum Manager, Assistant General Manager (Staff), General Manager.

Retired from Habbox May 2011

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Hecktix View Post
    To the person who said Critical Thinking is like Philosophy, it's not - Critical Thinking is a waste of time
    Critical thinking is used by philosophy as the basis of a good argument, I wasn't saying that the Critical thinking was the best idea but that if you're taking it then it makes philosophy easier.
    Last edited by Chippiewill; 13-10-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens
    Habbo
    chantellehugs

Latest Awards:

IF I get into that college, and those courses don't clash - is Philosophy really worth doing? I read on the course information sheet that you need a B in English Language and Maths, which would mean I'd have to work harder xL = More stress = Go mental, and I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile or not?
    Trust me when I say this Warren, GCSE "hard work" is nothing compared to A Level hard work. At GCSE you can get away with messing around for half the year and then revising a few months before the exam and still get an A. At A Level you need to be focused and stay on top of everything to get the grades you want. It's quite a shock when you move from GCSE to A Level so it's better you get used to putting the extra effort in now rather than later.

You should probably have a think about what type of career you want as well, otherwise you may end up doing those A levels and realise that you've done the wrong ones. Looking at all of your subjects I'm guessing you don't plan to go into a career to do with maths or science? If that's the case I would suggest you do English Lit or Lang.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Red

Latest Awards:

Critical thinking seems really general. I know at my school it was offered as something extra only. I wouldn't take on extra alevels either because its enough to get into a good uni with 3 and your wouldn't be over stretching yourself. Obviously you need to start thinking about career choices (ruling out science based careers with those choices) but I would recommend doing what you enjoy best and think you can get the highest grade in.
    Last edited by Red; 15-10-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12