HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens

Latest Awards:

Default Is it worth choosing Philosophy for a college choice?

Ok,

So I went to a college open morning today - it's been like..the only college I've wanted to go to and I absolutely loved it! The facilities, the ranges of courses available.. just, everything!

I've had 4/5 subjects stuck in my mind which I want to do in college (They recommend we start applying in 3 months xL) but I'm not sure if it's really worth it. I do know you can only do a maximum of 4 so I scrapped GCSE Spanish and here are the ones I want to do;

. Psychology
    . Sociology
    . Critical Thinking
    . Philosophy

IF I get into that college, and those courses don't clash - is Philosophy really worth doing? I read on the course information sheet that you need a B in English Language and Maths, which would mean I'd have to work harder xL = More stress = Go mental, and I'm not sure whether it's worthwhile or not?

* No I don't have a clue what I want to do in the future, I just know what I want to study in college and after that I'll be stuck.

So, has anyone chosen philosophy or has an opinion on this? XL
    /

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Philosophy is about 90% essays and almost entirely logic based, if you're good at problem solving and picking apart arguments then it's a pretty decent subject to do. But if you struggle with that kind of thing steer well clear. Philosophy also requires a very good ability in reading, a lot of the pre-1900s philosophical theories are written a style which could only be described as.. dense, picking out all the information and implications is a tricky proposition.

Philosophy could be regarded in a way as applied critical thinking and involves bits of psychology within also so if you're going for those then philosophy certainly isn't a bad choice.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazzervaldez View Post
    I do know you can only do a maximum of 4
    I forgot, I can do 5 if I get a certain amount of A's at school. So far, with my current grades I think.. if I improved 1 more grade I could do 5 subjects, but 5 subjects = too much.

And Thanks Chippiewill for your advice
    /

Tokens

Latest Awards:

5 subjects is hard work, i did 5 and really struggled til i dropped one. also anything is "WORTH" taking if you like that subject.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Isn't it something stupid like "what colour is the wall" "green" *flips light off" "what colour is it now" "green" *flips light on* "what colour is it now" "green"

That's what I've heard from people who took it at GCSE.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Oleh View Post
    Isn't it something stupid like "what colour is the wall" "green" *flips light off" "what colour is it now" "green" *flips light on* "what colour is it now" "green"
    Well that doesn't really make sense but I'm guessing it stems from one of the theories of perception debating whether different people perceive the same colour differently. Look up veil of perception if you're interested.

Philosophy is about debating and arguing about which we cannot empirically (Scientifically) observe.
    Chippiewill.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Publicised View Post
    5 subjects is hard work, i did 5 and really struggled til i dropped one. also anything is "WORTH" taking if you like that subject.
    Except:
    Media
    Photography
    ICT

Quote Originally Posted by Oleh View Post

That's what I've heard from people who took it at GCSE.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
    How do you prove the wall is green? How do you prove the spectrum of light that makes it green?

I took Ethics at A Level (a lot like Philosophy) and jesus is it difficult. A lot more difficult than you're making out
    Last edited by Recursion; 12-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    e-rebel forum moderator
    :8

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Recursion View Post
    Except:
    Media
    Photography
    ICT

How do you prove the wall is green? How do you prove the spectrum of light that makes it green?

I took Ethics at A Level (a lot like Philosophy) and jesus is it difficult. A lot more difficult than you're making out
    tom behave yrself, if you want to do a career in media or ict then of course taking media/ict is important. bet you wanted to put drama there too and remembered i do acting
    photography i consider as a hobby rather than a career (unless you can make money from it ALL the time, which is hard), but if you enjoy it and you want to do it, then why not? it's yr life, don't live it to please others.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

You don't say what you'd choose to do if you don't choose Philosophy.

While I've never done it, I wouldn't say you'd be discredited for taking an 'soft' option (although I personally hate this attitude) if you did take it if that's what you're worried about. Philosophy is very tricky to get right. You have the option to drop a subject after your 1st year so if you take it and find out it's not to your liking, you could always drop it.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    You don't say what you'd choose to do if you don't choose Philosophy.
    Hmm, I suppose I Would have with my original choice which was GCSE Spanish. We never got offered GCSE Spanish at our school, and to go straight into an A level for Spanish is ridiculous - on the GCSE Course, you can switch to a AS level in year 2 though.

Yeah, that's what I would do if I couldn't do philosophy.
    /

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast