HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    -:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Default Burn-A-Koran Day to be held on anniversary of 9/11, tension mounts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...rry-Jones.html

'We are still determined': U.S. pastor vows to carry out Burn-a-Koran day on Sept 11 despite death threats

• Hillary Clinton: Act is 'disrespectful and disgraceful'

• General Petraeus: 'It will spark war against all Christians'

The leader of a tiny U.S. church said yesterday that he will defy international condemnation and go ahead with plans to burn copies of the Koran on the anniversary of September 11. The Rev Terry Jones has been advised by the senior U.S. leader in Afghanistan, General David Petaeus, that the stunt would put American soldiers lives at greater risk and provide propaganda for the Taliban. But Rev Jones, who claims to have received more than 100 death threats and has begun carrying a pistol for his own protection, today held a press conference to announce that he will not back down in the face of military, political or moral pressure. 'As you can imagine we have come under very much pressure in the direction of cancelling the event,' said the minister, whose church has fewer than 100. 'But as of this time we have no intention of cancelling. 'We have also, which is something the news media has missed, received quite a lot of support. 'We understand General Petraeus's concern and we are still considering it. 'But as of now we are not convinced that backing down is the right thing to do. 'So we will continue with our planned event '

Rev Jones also met with Imam Muhammad Musri, president of the Islamic Society of Central Florida, who later told reporters he does not hold a grudge against the Gainesville pastor. Rev Jones, 58, said in July he would stage an 'international Burn-a-Koran Day' at the Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida. But supporters have been posting copies of the Koran for him to put on a bonfire on Saturday to mark the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks and he is now in possession of 200 copies of the religious text. Rev Jones refusal to back down comes after an American teacher working in Afghanistan warned Mr Jones that his life is in danger because of the stunt.

The unnamed lecturer wrote an impassioned email at the weekend describing 'boisterous protesters' condemning the pastor outside his classroom, according to the New York Times. 'Your actions endanger my life,' he wrote. However, Rev Jones claimed he is even prepared to die for his cause and said: 'It's something we need to do. It's a message we need to send. 'We are prepared to give our lives for this.' The lecturer's email arrived as Hillary Clinton joined in mounting criticism of Mr Jones' Dove World Outreach Centre.

The U.S. Secretary of State told a religious meeting in Washington that the stunt was 'disrespectful' and 'disgraceful'. Mrs Clinton said: 'I am heartened by the clear, unequivocal condemnation of this disrespectful, disgraceful act that has come from American religious leaders of all faiths. 'Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. 'Many of you know that in 1790, George Washington wrote to a synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island, that this country will give "to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance".'

But Mr Jones insisted he would go ahead with his plans, despite criticism from the top U.S. general in Afghanistan, the White House and the State Department, as well as a host of religious leaders including the Vatican which denounced the event as 'an outrageous and grave gesture against a book considered sacred by a religious community.' Mr Jones, who is known for posting signs proclaiming that Islam is the devil's religion, said the U.S. Constitution gives him the right to publicly set fire to the book that Muslims consider the word of God.
    God bless the US Consitution which, although being worn away by legislation such as the US Patriot Act, still stands strong to protect freedom, civil liberties and democracy. This is a stark contrast to the United Kingdom when the previous Labour government banned Dutch politician Geert Wilders from entering the country after he had been invited to show his anti-Islam film Fitna in Westminister at the invitation of Lord Pearson and Baroness Cox - yet outside parliament we had muslims calling for Wilders to be 'got', in other words; killed.

Although this is a very provocative act, I am with him for three reasons; 1) he is going to get up the noses of the political elite in the western world who preach morals yet who start wars based on lies. 2) he is going to piss off the religious nutcases of the Islamic faith who find time to burn effigys of anyone who dares speak their mind. Finally and most importantly, he is exercising his right to freedom of speech.

I believe it was Jesse Ventura or Ron Paul who stated that protect of freedom of speech was designed to protect unpopular speech, not popular speech - that is very very true. In the words of Geert Wilders "There is not a right in any law that says you should never be insulted.".

Thoughts on the situation?

Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 08-09-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

The Koran is a fairly aggressive book that I don't agree with. However whilst I support this guys right to burn books he is a total ********. Imagine if someone in America held a bible burning ceremony, they would be shot pure and simple. This supposedly religious and "just" man must be fully aware of the repercussions it will have against American troops in Muslim areas where they are stationed. It is impractical, insensitive and down right wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

i think he's an idiot and only making a fragile situation worse.
    goodbye.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Who cares? Anyone can burn whatever book they want...

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I wish the posters they have made made sense..

I dunno. I'm in two minds tbh. Freedom of speech etc, but people moan at Muslims who speak there mind. Though, who told every press paper in the world he was doing this? Probably him. He wants to cause controversy by the looks of things.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I say burn every religious book. I can't believe how much death and destruction has been caused by things that don't actually exist.

Tokens
    Habbo
    HotelUser

Latest Awards:

Palin: Koran burning is 'unnecessary provocation'
    (AFP) – 1 hour ago
    WASHINGTON — Former US vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on Wednesday condemned a small Florida church's planned Koran burning ceremony as an "insensitive and an unnecessary provocation."
    "Book burning is antithetical to American ideals," Palin, a possible Republican contender for the White House in 2012, said in a post on her Facebook page.
    "People have a constitutional right to burn a Koran if they want to, but doing so is insensitive and an unnecessary provocation -- much like building a mosque at Ground Zero," said the former Alaska governor.
    She was comparing the evangelical Christian Dove World Outreach Center's plans to torch Islam's holy book on the anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist strikes to plans to build a community center to include a mosque some two blocks from the site of the attacks in New York City.
    Palin urged the Koran burning organizer, Pastor Terry Jones, to reconsider the possible effects of their planned gesture, which has drawn expressions of outrage from around the globe.
    "It will feed the fire of caustic rhetoric and appear as nothing more than mean-spirited religious intolerance. Don't feed that fire," she said.
    "If your ultimate point is to prove that the Christian teachings of mercy, justice, freedom, and equality provide the foundation on which our country stands, then your tactic to prove this point is totally counter-productive."
    Palin noted the importance of freedom of religion in the United States and warned against "unnecessarily provoking strife."
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...wSQ4-qRe4tOs_w
    I'm not crazy, ask my toaster.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

even PALIN is condemning this!? wow i have some new found respect for this woman.
    goodbye.

Tokens
    Habbo
    HotelUser

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by alexxxxx View Post
    even PALIN is condemning this!? wow i have some new found respect for this woman.
    The article I've quoted was the numero uno result on Google for a search of Koran. I'm really surprised at how much coverage Palin's views gets online. Apparently she's quite the avid social website user which has to be the cause.

As for burning Korans I sort of think that's hate to remember a crime of hate, which sort of contradicts itself in my opinion.
    I'm not crazy, ask my toaster.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

I can't believe anyone would think this is acceptable...? I'm all for freedom of speech but burning the Koran will only incite hatred and certain groups will almost certainly seek revenge. I'd be surprised if this doesn't end in loss of life. Not at this ridiculous Burn-A-Koran Day event but in the up and coming weeks. Disgusting and unnecessary.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast