HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

Default Tuition Fees: Poorest students will get up to two years FREE tuition!

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Tuition fees: Poorest students to get year for free

Proposed rises in tuition fees triggered student protests across Britain
    Continue reading the main story
    Related stories

Cable to back tuition fees rise
    Date named for tuition fees vote
    Thousands of university students from poorer backgrounds could have their tuition fees paid for up to two years under new government proposals.

Universities minister David Willetts said up to 18,000 students could get support for their fees from a new fund.

This and other safeguards should "absolutely" allay student concerns about the fees rise, Mr Willetts said.

But ahead of Thursday's vote to raise fees to £9,000, student leaders said the plan would have "limited impact".

As MPs prepare for that vote - on whether to back government proposals to increase the cap in fees from £3,375 to £9,000 from 2013 - Lib Dem sources said it was still unclear which way their 57 MPs would go.

The party has come under intense pressure from students after promising to abolish tuition fees in its election manifesto. Leader Nick Clegg and all other Lib Dem MPs signed a pre-election pledge to vote against any rise.

Mr Clegg's chief political adviser told the BBC that the party would announce its intentions following a meeting early next week.

'Extra assistance'
    Cash for the new fund - set aside for pupils who were eligible for free schools meals - would come from the £150m National Scholarship Programme already announced.

Under the plans, universities which charge more than £6,000 a year could be forced to pay such students' fees for a second year.

Ministers believe up to 18,000 students could ultimately benefit, significantly increasing the numbers of children from poorer families going on to higher education.

Free school meals are available to families claiming certain benefits and are given to around 80,000 pupils in each school year.

Universities minister David Willetts: "This is the right thing to be putting forward"
    Mr Willetts told BBC One's Politics Show the plan was to allow universities to offer "extra assistance" to pupils from poorer backgrounds by "relieving their fees cost".

Before Thursday's vote, he said the coalition would be emphasising the "very good features" of its student finance package, such as the fact there would be no upfront charges and the salary level at which graduates will have to start repaying will rise from £15,000 to £21,000.

"There is absolutely no reason why students that are worried should have any genuine concerns about the proposals," he added.

Ministers will meet student representatives next week to consult them on the plans, which have strong backing from Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.

'Huge debt'
    But National Union of Students president Aaron Porter said the plans "won't get very far".

"Despite the trebling of tuition fees, what we have seen is no further detail on the requirements from universities to put money into support for students from the poorest backgrounds.

"We suspect this will have a very limited impact at a time when debt will be so huge for those leaving our universities."

Despite efforts to bring them on board, more than 10 Lib Dem MPs have suggested they will vote against the plan while some others are considering abstaining.

“Nick Clegg is keen to try and get a consensus within the parliamentary party”

Norman Lamb
    Lib Dem MP
    Amid reports of disagreements between senior Lib Dems over the issue, MP Norman Lamb - Nick Clegg's political adviser - acknowledged the issue was "messy" and "difficult" but had to be considered through the party's normal decision-making procedures.

"Nick Clegg is keen to try and get a consensus within the parliamentary party," he told the Politics Show.

While it was his "strong preference" to vote for the proposals, Mr Lamb stressed that it was "important to keep the party united."

However, the proposals - which he said would see the 25% poorest students pay less than now - would be "an engine for social mobility".

"He [Nick Clegg] wants to get everyone on side and supporting a policy which, I agree and he agrees, is absolutely in accordance with Lib Dem values," he told the Politics Show.

Mr Clegg earlier told the Independent on Sunday that he believed in a policy which was "brave and bold" and would "lower barriers of entry to university."

'Cruel blow'
    Days ahead of the vote, Labour leader Ed Miliband has also sought to make his position on the issue clear, saying the fees increase would set back the cause of social mobility by a generation.

Writing in the Observer, he said: "The proposals amount to a rejection of the long-standing recognition of our collective responsibility for higher education.

"Make no mistake - if this bill is voted through on Thursday, the government will deal a cruel blow to the chances of the next generation and betray the hopes of our young people."

However, senior figures within his own party have expressed concerns about Mr Miliband's alternative plan for a graduate tax, shadow chancellor Alan Johnson saying it may not be "workable".

The proposed increase does not apply in Scotland nor for students resident in Wales, wherever they chose to go on to study in the UK.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11920628

Y'all can be quiet now ty xo

DJ Robbie
    Former Jobs: Events Organiser, News Reporter, HxHD

Tokens
    Habbo
    Catzsy

Latest Awards:

18,000 students? 481,854 started at University in September. It seems that you are pretty easily pleased.

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

It won't affect me. I'm paying whether I like it or not. But everyone moaning they can't afford tuition fees can shush now.

DJ Robbie

Tokens
    Habbo
    Catzsy

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by R0BB13G View Post
    It won't affect me. I'm paying whether I like it or not. But everyone moaning they can't afford tuition fees can shush now.
    Not exactly what you said in the first post of the thread though and not really a plausible answer to my post?

Tokens
    Habbo
    Conservative,

Latest Awards:

I'm pleased easily if it's what I want...I guess you could say. But the tuition fees has never really done much for/against me so I don't really care it's just bugging me other people are moaning so now there's this they can be quiet

DJ Robbie

Tokens
    Habbo
    J25T

Latest Awards:

I think I'm posting on behalf of everyone, and will probably get fired but here it goes:
    Your like 14, you don't really know the experience most MATURE students are going through, please stop posting as if you are experiencing this yourself

Tokens
    Habbo
    Catzsy

Latest Awards:

I'm pleased easily if it's what I want...I guess you could say. But the tuition fees has never really done much for/against me so I don't really care it's just bugging me other people are moaning so now there's this they can be quiet
    But 18,000 poorest students is a mere drop in the ocean compared with the almost 500,000 that will have to pay so hardly any movement at all. Think about the figures logically.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Why is it bugging you other people are moaning? How does people protesting against something they disagree with have any impact on your life whatsoever?

Also, the new proposals doesn't really solve much. There are still plenty of other reasons to be against the changes. For example, the false market that these proposals would bring (6000 for one uni, 9000 for another. I wouldn't be so against it if every uni was capped at 6000).

Tokens

Latest Awards:

sorry cba to read the whole article - what determines 'poor' from everyone else?

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Lol. But this has been the argument all along. We all knew the poorest of the poor would get support, like Catzsy said 18,000 out of 450,000 is nothing lol.

I can guaruntee that the other 432,000 can't all afford it lol, which is why it is so fair now as the system helps all of those who cannot afford it, yet this is just going to help the poorest of the poor and not the average UK citizen.

This is a pure publicity stunt trying to make them look better, when looking at the stats it still makes them look stupid. You clearly have no knowledge about how these things work and just like to pick arguments, in my opinion.

So no, I won't be quiet.
    Last edited by Hecktix; 05-12-2010 at 06:06 PM.
    "You live more riding bikes like these for 5 minutes than most people do in their entire lives"

RIP Marco Simoncelli ~ 1987 - 2011
    Previous Habbox Roles: Shows Manager, Help Desk Manager, Forum Moderator, Forum Super Moderator, Assistant Forum Manager, Forum Manager, Assistant General Manager (Staff), General Manager.

Retired from Habbox May 2011

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast