HabboxWiki needs you!
Are you a Habbo buff? Or maybe a rare trader with a bunch of LTDs? Get involved with HabboxWiki to share your knowledge!
Join our team!
Whether you're raving for rares, excited for events or happy helping, there's something for you! Click here to apply
Need a helping hand?
Check out our guides for all things to help you make friends, make rooms, and make money!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tokens
    Habbo
    Yet

Latest Awards:

Default 541 people thrown in jail for failing to pay tiny fines

This is ridculous, this is how bad things are getting. Prison for not paying your television licence, yet our ******* government can rape our nation of 89 billion and our banks can rape the country of 891 billion and skip of scot free.

A SHARP increase has been recorded in the numbers of people jailed for non-payment of small fines.
    A total of 541 people were jailed last year for failing to pay parking, TV licence and other fines -- up from 63 in 2007.
    This was despite the introduction of the Fines Act, which provides alternatives to imprisonment in cases where small penalties are not paid.
    SYSTEM
    The legislation allows for the payment of fines by instalments over a year or even over two years.
    However, Justice Minister Alan Shatter has revealed the instalment system has not been implemented yet as the Courts Service computers have not been updated to cater for the new method.
    Figures show a rise in the number of jail sentences for non-payment of small fines throughout the economic crisis, from 145 in 2008 to 298 in 2009 and 541 last year.
    Parking fines accounted for the majority, with 382 people given custodial sentences in 2010 for not paying the penalties.
    In 2007, the figure for parking fines was a mere 36.
    Separate data shows that 6,681 people were jailed for non-payment of court-ordered fines -- amounting to €43m -- last year.
    The Irish Penal Reform Trust executive director Liam Herrick said the figures indicated the principle of imprisonment as a last resort in the case of fine defaulters had not yet become reality.
    "As well as avoidable costs to prisons, courts and gardai, more importantly individuals are being committed to our overcrowded and unsafe prisons in cases where judges have already determined that prisons sentences are not appropriate," he said.
    WASTEFUL
    "Although most fine defaulters are released after only a short time in prison, this redundant exercise is extremely costly and wasteful in terms of courts, gardai and prison resources."
    It emerged last year that individuals jailed for non-payment of fines were having their fines waived on arrival at prison gates under a new system.

Source: http://www.herald.ie/national-news/5...s-2661201.html
    ofwgktadgaf

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

These sentences are like a few days long, and it's their fault for not paying fines. If they're so small they don't matter why not pay it off? People surely know that breaking the law results in punishment :S
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens
    Habbo
    Varnius

Latest Awards:

Ugh tell me bout' it -.- they bring you to court for being late with it.. it's bloody stupid!
    Search Varnius for Habbo's Official Trading Room.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Privatise the BBC, simple as that. (in reference to the United Kingdom, i'm not sure what system the Republic has)

It is time the BBC learnt to cope in the real world of business rather than being kept afloat by a stealth tax (subsidy) of which you can be taken to court for if you do not pay the licence fee (tax). As for our prisons system, I don't know where to begin - but one thing is for sure; nothing will change in the near future concerning crime and punishment in this country.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 02-06-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Tokens
    Habbo
    FlyingJesus

Latest Awards:

Don't reckon privatising the BBC will do a lot to affect parking fines lol
    | TWITTER |

Blessed be
    + * + * + * +

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Got to meet targets and make money with all the cuts so they're going to crack down and be more strict with it so not much of a surprise.

As for privatizing the BBC, I don't like adverts LOL

Tokens

Latest Awards:

These people are the reason the CGI on dr who is so poor, give the beeb more money so they can get some decent software i say!
    Conductor of the Runaway Train of Militant Homosexuality

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    I'm also very happy paying to not have adverts.
    Chippiewill.

-:Undertaker:- is offline Habbox Hall of Fame Inductee
    Former Rare Values Manager
    HabboxForum Top Poster
    Articles Writer

Country
    Spain
    Tokens
    Habbo
    -:overtaker:-

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by Inseriousity. View Post
    Got to meet targets and make money with all the cuts so they're going to crack down and be more strict with it so not much of a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Technologic View Post
    These people are the reason the CGI on dr who is so poor, give the beeb more money so they can get some decent software i say!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippiewill View Post
    I'm also very happy paying to not have adverts.
    Indeed, well you can all pay for it yourselves - nothing would stop you all from continuing with your BBC services.
    Last edited by -:Undertaker:-; 03-06-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Tokens

Latest Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by -:Undertaker:- View Post
    Indeed, well you can all pay for it yourselves - nothing would stop you all from continuing with your BBC services.
    I genuinely do not believe you do not use any of the BBC services lol.

I would hate the BBC to go, as I hate adverts and refuse to watch them. So I either pause the program for 15 minutes or watch the BBC - which has loads of quality programs anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast