https://amp.majorcadailybulletin.com...-mallorca.html

Spain considering lifting 90-day stay rule for Britons by relaxing visas

Move follows France which is removing the 90-day limit for Britons

?

Quote Originally Posted by Majorca Daily
Spain appears determined to try and lift the 90-day cap for Britons coming to Mallorca and Spain in general.
Spain?s acting Minister of Industry, Trade and Tourism, H?ctor G?mez confirmed this week that he held an ?important meeting at the Foreign Office with the Director of Consular Affairs and Crisis, Jennifer Anderson, in which they discussed issues of interest regarding the stays of British tourists in Spain and discussed collaboration projects for future seasons,? and this is understood to have included the 90-day cap.

And, an important precedent has been set in France which Spain will hopefully look to follow for British second and holiday home owners.

The French Senate has this week approved a bill amendment granting automatic long-stay visa rights to British second-home owners in France ?without the need for any formalities?. This amendment is part of France?s immigration bill and will proceed to the Assembl?e nationale for debate in December.
Lol.

The amount of people I have spoken to over here in Spain who are annoyed with the current 90 day limit, or the refusal of Spain to allow Britons to use the electronic passport gates - I have said the same thing since 2016, give it time and it will cease to be an issue. The only reason they've [the Spanish & Europeans] dragged their feet over both issues so far is out of spite and the fact our government is so weak it won't engage in tit-for-tat with them on visa/passport/entry issues.

It's like with my job, English teaching. There's an increasing shortage now in Spain of English teachers because of the visa process/the fact companies here don't want to go through the process, so there's a fight now over the remaining supply of us in the job. But the fact is that at some point Spain will have to either relax the visa for ESL teaching, or companies will have to start sponsoring visas for it. This has already happened in Italy where I was sponsored for a visa (but I left).